Dr Schmidt obtained a BSc(Hons) from the University of New England in 1973 and a PhD in geophysics from the Australian National University in 1977.
After a post-doctoral position in Ottawa with the Earth Physics Branch studying magnetic properties of Precambrian rocks, he returned to Australia in 1978 to take up a position with CSIRO Mineral Physics.
Since then he has collaborated with colleagues in research organisations and industry on many magnetic exploration projects, developing instruments and software tools for geological interpretation.
Dr Schmidt is an Adjunct Professor at Macquarie University, NSW, and an Honorary Fellow at CSIRO. He has been a member of the Federal Executive of ASEG for 10 years where he has been instrumental in raising the profile of ASEG’s publications Exploration Geophysics and Preview, which are now available online through ASEG’s and SEG’s websites.
Dr Schmidt is a member of the:
- Australian Society of Exploration Geophysicists. Dr Schmidt is currently President-Elect and was Publications Chairman (2005-2014) and New South Wales Branch Treasurer 2000-02
- Australian Institute of Geoscientists, Fellow and Registered Professional
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- American Geophysical Union, JGR reviewer 1996-98
- Australian Geological Society
- European Geosciences Union.